Friday 11 April 2008

Easter!

So, I’m running slightly behind on updating my blog as have been in the UK, and had a few other things to do there than writing. So, I’ll carry on from where I left off (Easter), and fill you in on my UK travels at a later date.

Here is a question for you: how many sites from different world religions is it possible to visit over one Easter weekend in an Islamic Republic?

Answer: sites from ALL the major world religions! On Good Friday VSO arranged a trip for all the new volunteers (they came out two weeks ago) and evacuees (me and Corry) several hours south of Islamabad to the second largest salt mines in the world. We were able to go on a little train right into the middle of the mine and it was so beautiful:



So I hear you wondering what has this got to do with world religions? Well, nothing, but after that we visited a Hindu pilgrimage site – the second holiest Hindu site in Pakistan. The site is mentioned in the Mahabharata – an ancient Hindu text, written 300BC.

I know the building at the front looks slightly like a Norman fort, but I don't think it is!

The next day we visited a Muslim shrine – it was very beautifully decorated inside with piles of rose petals, tinsel and photos of Islamic holy places.

Then on Easter Sunday I managed to get to church (after much stress as High Commission advised against it). I’ve never been to a church before where I had to walk past a police cordon, armed guards and a body and bag search. Quite depressing given the meaning of the celebration of Easter.

After that VSO had arranged another trip to Taxila. This is a very famous archaeological site with remains from from the Buddhist era through the time of Greek influence when Alexander came through as well as Moghul and Hindu relics. To be honest, I got thoroughly confused as to the history as it encompassed such a long time period but I (maybe) will research it and then provide you all with an in depth and incisive analysis (!). But it was great seeing the Buddhist remains – we visited a Buddhist monastery 2000 years old, and it was really interesting seeing the tombs with Buddhist art as well as the Greek influence.

And in the same afternoon we also visited a Sikh gurudwara which is also a very important pilgrimage site as it has a copy of their holy book – the Granth Sahib. We walked through some water and past a big rock with a hand print on of Guru Nanak. Sikhs believe that he stopped part of the mountain being thrown at him with his hand. Also, they believe that by walking through the water by this rock they they can wash away their sins.

In Taxila, there was a Buddha with a hole in the stomach, and Buddhists believe if you put your finger in there and pray then it will heal your bodily ailments. I felt quite holy after such a religious day, especially on Easter Sunday.

So, I wish I could end with some pearl of wisdom all about the different religions, particularly relating the experience of walking past armed guards into church, but I can’t think of anything clever so will leave it by saying that I feel very blessed to be here and have had such experiences (except the armed guards)!

No comments: